This page presents a quick overview of the main features available in Nuxeo EP:
It is not supposed to be exhaustive, the main target is to help you see what Nuxeo EP can do for you.
Document Management features are the core of Nuxeo EP.
Basically, using the Nuxeo Repository you can define your own document types. For this, you can define XSD schemas that will define the structure of your documents:
- you can share schemas between document types, to have common blocks of meta-data,
- you can use inheritance between document types, to create a hierarchy.
The fields in schemas (and then in documents) can be:
- simple types (String, Date, Integer, Boolean, Double ...),
- list of simple types (multi-valued properties),
- complex types:
- file (binary stream, filename, mime-type, size),
- custom complex types (like an postal address).
The Nuxeo Repository can manage versioning on documents (including numbering policies), manage customized ID generation. It can also manage security on documents (see the page on Repository overview for more details).
Nuxeo EP lets you associate documents with relations and tags. It also provides UI building blocks to help you use the documents inside the repository:
- The form (Layout and Widget) system enables you to easily define View/Edit/Create screens,
- Navigation can be based on several physical filing plans:
- physical plan,
- meta-data (virtual navigation),
All documents stored in the Nuxeo Repository are indexed. Indexing is configurable and by default manages:
- all meta-data keyword indexing,
- fulltext indexing on all extracted from meta-data fields and files.
All standard files types are fulltext indexed. Fulltext extraction is pluggable: you can add a custom extractor if you have very specific file types.
The Repository provides a query system to let you:
- search on meta-data,
- search on fulltext.
Nuxeo Search can be done in NXQL (SQL like) or CMISQL.
Search results take security into account: a user can not find a document that he can not access.
Renditions, preview and annotations
Nuxeo EP includes a conversion service that can be used to convert binary files to text, html, pdf, etc. This
ConversionService is pluggable and you can define your own conversion plugins and your own conversion chains.
Nuxeo EP also includes a preview service that provides HTML preview UI coupled with an annotation service. This lets user read and annotate a MSOffice file without needing to run MSOffice locally. The Annotation server is based on the Annotea W3C standard and provides annotation capabilities for both text and images.
Process Management and content automation
Documents are associated with a lifecycle. The lifecycle defines the possible states of a document and the associated transitions. Many simple review process can be managed with a simple lifecycle and some custom listeners (java code or scripting).
You can also use Content Automation to simply define operation chains triggered by events using Nuxeo Studio (no need to code).
Of course, if you need real Business Process management, Nuxeo EP integrates the jBPM engine and a set of generic handlers that can be used to manipulate documents from within the business process context.
Nuxeo provides features to:
- send a document via email,
- manage notifications via email,
- fetch eMails from a mailbox and transform them into Nuxeo Documents,
- inject eMails in Nuxeo Repository.
Digital Asset Management
Nuxeo EP provides several features to deal with pictures:
- extract or set meta-data associated with picture formats (EXIF, IPTC ...),
- resize and rotate images,
- convert images between formats,
- generate thumbnails and picture book views,
- provide browsing and tiling web UI (allows to view and zoom on a very large image even in a web browser).
For video assets, Nuxeo EP provides services for:
- video conversion,
- video thumbnails extraction,
- integration with a streaming server (Darwin).
Portal and Web views
The main target of Nuxeo EP is to provide tools to create and manage content. But Nuxeo EP also provides tools to generate Web views on your content.
For that, WebEngine provides a simple template-based rendering system that is completely integrated with Nuxeo documents and services.
With WebEngine, it's easy to provide a custom web view on top of a document, workspace, folder, ...
Nuxeo EP also provides pre-built WebEngine module for WebSites, Blogs and Wikis.
If you want to aggregate content or small web applications you can also use Nuxeo as a portal.
For that Nuxeo EP integrates:
- a UWA widgets container,
- a complete OpenSocial Server (OAuth, Google Gadgets, Social APIs...).