This section presents information about the running environment for a Nuxeo server. Listing all required software, giving a recommended configuration and listing some others, known as operational, this sections aims at helping you to validate or define your production environment. However the list is not exhaustive and needs to be completed with the users' experience.
The Nuxeo Platform can run on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows operating systems.
All you need for a quick start is a Java Development Kit (JDK)* (a JRE is not enough). Java 7 (also called Java 1.7) is required.
Checking Your Java Version
To check that you have the right version of Java:
- Open a terminal:
- on Linux or Mac OS X: open a terminal.
- on Windows: press "windows" key + r, type
command) in the Run window and press "OK" or open the "Prompt command" from "Start > Programs > Accessories" menu.
java -versionand press Enter.
If Java is correctly installed on your computer, the name and version of your Java virtual machine is displayed:
If Java is not installed on you computer, it fails to display the Java version. Then, you need to install Java (see below).
If Java is installed but not included in the PATH, it fails to find the Java command. Then, you need to add
$JAVA_HOME/bin/in your PATH (see How do I set or change the PATH system variable?).
For Windows Users
If the required version of Java is not installed on your computer:
- Download it from the Oracle website and choose the appropriate platform for your hardware and Windows version.
- Run the downloaded .exe file and follow the instructions displayed.
For Linux UsersFor Ubuntu, the openjdk-7-jdk package is available from version 12.04 LTS on.
For Debian, it is not available in the current stable release (6.0.x aka "squeeze"), but it will be in the next one ("wheezy"). You can still download it from the Oracle website, but in that case you can not use the nuxeo .deb package (the zip distribution still works fine).
For Mac OS X UsersJava 7 requires at least Lion (Mac OS 10.7.3). The Java 7 package for Mac OS is available on the Oracle website and instructions for installation on the Java website.
The Nuxeo Platform is designed to be scalable and can thus to be deployed on many servers. It can be installed on only one server for a start, and can also easily be installed on many servers. The constant is that there is the need to have one modern server with good performances. Then the other servers can be more lower-end.
The numbers below are given for the one needed high-end server.
- RAM: 2 GB is the minimum requirement for using Nuxeo,
- CPU: Intel Core 2 or equivalent and better.
You might want to avoid machines from the Intel Pentium 4 Xeon series since some models have a too small amount of cache. This impairs performance greatly compared to other CPU architecture of the same generation. (Intel Pentium 4 servers are quite widespread because of an attractive price policy.)
- Storage (disk) space: the minimum Nuxeo installation, along with the needed server and libs, takes something between 200 MB and 280 MB on a filesystem. Then, the final size will of course depend on the amount of data that will be stored in Nuxeo. A safe bet (until we provide better numbers) is to consider data space ratio of 1.5 to 2.
The default persistence configuration is lightweight and easy to use, but it is not made for performance.
The Nuxeo Platform uses:
- H2 for SQL Data (directories, relations ...),
- Filesystem persistence with VCS for the Document repository.
For Optimal Performances
- Linux 64 bits,
- PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1, Use PostgreSQL for document repository and all other services.
- Have plenty of RAM (>= 4 GB).
Known Working Configurations
- Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny or more recent
- Linux Ubuntu 32 and 64 bits: 10.10 or more recent
- Linux Mandriva 2008.1
- Red Hat Linux RHEL 5 and 6
- CentOS 5
- Mac OS X Lion (10.7), Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7
Other Unix variants (such as Solaris) should work as long as there is an implementation of Java 7, but some adjustments may be needed to have :
- Process management running 100% ok (monitor, restart ...)
- All external converters available (OpenOffice/LibreOffice, pdf2html, ffmpeg ...)
Sun JDK 7, 64 bits recommended especially on Windows environment.
Different backends may be set as well for Nuxeo Core repository as for all other Nuxeo services that persist data. Please see the list of supported databases for each version of Nuxeo.
- Microsoft Active Directory
Nuxeo applications can be used with the browsers below.
- IE 8 and greater with activeX enabled
- Firefox 10 and greater
- Google Chrome 8 and greater
- Safari 4 and greater