This section presents information about the running environment for a Nuxeo server. Listing all required software, giving a recommended configuration and listing some others, known as operational, this sections aims at helping you to validate or define your production environment. However the list is not exhaustive and needs to be completed with the users' experience.
The Nuxeo Platform can run on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows operating systems.
The only requirement to run the Nuxeo Platform is to have Java 7 or Java 8 (also called Java 1.7 and Java 1.8) installed. You need a Java Development Kit (JDK) to develop on the platform, but a JRE is enough to just run it.
We currently support Oracle's JDK and OpenJDK. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need us to support a JDK from another vendor.
To check that you have the right version of Java:
Open a terminal:
- on Linux or Mac OS X: open a terminal.
- on Windows: press "windows" key + r, type
command) in the Run window and press "OK" or open the "Prompt command" from "Start > Programs > Accessories" menu.
java -versionand press Enter. If Java is correctly installed on your computer, the name and version of your Java virtual machine is displayed:java -version result on Mac OS
java version "1.7.0_17" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_17-b02) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)java -version result on Ubuntu
java version "1.7.0_15" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.7) (7u15-2.3.7-0ubuntu1~12.10.1) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
If Java is not installed on you computer, it fails to display the Java version. Then, you need to install Java (see below).
If Java is installed but not included in the PATH, it fails to find the Java command. Then, you need to add
$JAVA_HOME/bin/in your PATH (see How do I set or change the PATH system variable?).
If the required version of Java is not installed on your computer:
- Download it from the Oracle website (Java 7 - Java 8) and choose the appropriate platform for your hardware and Windows version.
- Run the downloaded .exe file and follow the instructions displayed.
For Ubuntu, the openjdk-7-jdk package is available from version 12.04 LTS on. For Debian, it is available from "wheezy" (7.0.x).
Java packages and instructions for installation are available from the Oracle website:
The Nuxeo Platform is designed to be scalable and can thus to be deployed on many servers. It can be installed on only one server for a start, and can also easily be installed on many servers. The constant is that there is the need to have one modern server with good performances. Then the other servers can be more lower-end.
The numbers below are given for the one needed high-end server.
- RAM: 2 GB is the minimum requirement for using Nuxeo,
- CPU: Intel Core 2 or equivalent and better. You might want to avoid machines from the Intel Pentium 4 Xeon series since some models have a too small amount of cache. This impairs performance greatly compared to other CPU architecture of the same generation. (Intel Pentium 4 servers are quite widespread because of an attractive price policy.)
- Storage (disk) space: the minimum Nuxeo installation, along with the needed server and libs, takes something between 200 MB and 280 MB on a filesystem. Then, the final size will of course depend on the amount of data that will be stored in Nuxeo. A safe bet (until we provide better numbers) is to consider data space ratio of 1.5 to 2.
The default persistence configuration is lightweight and easy to use, but it is not made for performance.
The Nuxeo Platform uses:
- H2 for SQL Data (directories, relations ...),
- Filesystem persistence with VCS for the Document repository.
- Linux 64 bits,
- PostgreSQL 9.3, Use PostgreSQL for document repository and all other services.
- Have plenty of RAM (>= 4 GB).
Nuxeo applications can be used with the browsers below.
- IE 10 and greater
- Firefox 31 ESR and greater
- Google Chrome 37 and greater
- Safari 6.2 and greater
Browser extensions for drag and drop and Live Edit are available for Internet Explorer and Firefox only.
- Debian 7.0 Wheezy
- Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04, Trusty Tahr 14.04 and the latest Ubuntu Fast Track
- Red Hat Linux RHEL 7
- CentOS 7
- Mac OS X Lion (10.7)
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
- Mac OS Mavericks (10.9)
- Mac OS Yosemite (10.10)
- For development: Windows 7, Windows 8
- For deployment: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012
Oracle JDK 7 and 8, 64 bits recommended especially on Windows environment.
Different backends may be set as well for Nuxeo Core repository as for all other Nuxeo services that persist data. Please see the list of supported databases for each version of Nuxeo.
- Microsoft Active Directory